Monday, February 16, 2009

2007 archived show reviews

2007


Saturday, April 21, 2007 THE CONSERVATORY, Oklahoma City, OK
FIFTH QUASI-ANNUAL GARAGE SALE, BIRTHDAY PARTY & FREE SHOW
I Resign, Klipspringer, Stevedore + others


I was visiting a friend in OKC and while we were sitting have an early dinner I opened the local paper called The Gazzette and spotted an advert for this event. I asked my
friend if she’d like to go check it out and she agreed. We showed up at my favorite Oklahoma City Punk Rock club to find the event in full swing. The garage sale was chock full
of cool items such as; posters, CDs, vinyl, badges, patches, clothes, shoes, etc… This was also Barbara’s birthday party and from the looks of things she was really enjoying
herself. I met the owner (and my personal friend), Jim at the door and he gave me and my friend two VIP passes so we took full advantage of them.

After we walked around and saw what all the vendors had to offer we made our way to the club area to check out OK’s finest. First up was I RESIGN. Unfortunately, I missed
them because I was busy enjoying myself with some of my local friends. From what I heard though, they were great! Hardcore played the right way and from what I’m told they
are the shit! Sorry I missed you guys.

Next up were Norman’s KLIPSPRINGER. This four-piece pop-punk-indie outfit really know how to entertain. All four dressed up like priests, which was kinda funny. They have a
keyboard/electronic saxophone player who opened the show with VAN HALEN’s “Jump” but just the intro. They then jumped into their opener, which rocked the house.
Everyone in the band is a true player who know their way around his instrument. They all even sing harmonies, which was an added treat. Singer/guitarist, Ty Kamm was really
entertaining and has the pipes to make the punk rock “big time”, if you even know what that means. They reminded me of early REGGIE & THE FULL EFFECT probably because
of the keyboard parts. Their ender and self-proclaimed Scandinavian hit “She Just Wants To” was definitely my favorite song. It’s from their “My Knee Hurts” CD, which is their
second release, I believe.

Next up was STEVEDORE who are a three-piece electronic pop singing duo with a guy in the back playing the PC. I could not stop laughing during their entire set. If they had the
typical American Idol or N*SYNC type voices this would’ve been the most boring thing ever but because these two guys could sing but not really it made it really funny. I actually
really enjoyed these guys. Their show was energetic as well as hilarious and down right amazing. I generally don’t like this type of stuff but STEVEDORE rocks!!

You can check out all the band on their respective myspace pages. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Special thanks to: Jim for making me feel so welcomed in OKC. Sal Crest out! –Sal Cochino (4/07)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 26, 2007 PALADINO'S, Tarzana, CA PUNK ROCK THURSDAYS
Majority Lost, Kill Detail, Fozzy's Hero


The evening started out with a bang! Cellphish singer, Jesse "Kipp" Winger was helping out Kill Detail with gear and alcohol. Kill Detail were celebrating their singer, Gizz Lazlo,
birthday by getting completely drunk! Jesse seemed to be buying 20 beers at a time and the Kill Detail guys didn't seem to mind. They even got me at my colleague and former
Flipsider, ShitEd buzzed. These guys are some of the coolest guys in Punk Rock. And not just because they got me a good buzz on a Thursday night!

Anyway, first up was the Valley's MAJORITY LOST. These guys are good musicians but they have that total "new skool" way of approaching songs. Similar to NOFX without the
snotty vocals and musically like every new Epitaph bandon the roster. There was nothing really memorable about this band except for the fact that they were nice guys on stage
and off. The did give me a CD, which I will be reviewing soon,

Next up was KILL DETAIL performing their forth show to date. These former JUGHEAD'S REVENGE fellas are just as good, if not better than they were throughout the 90's when
they were a their peak. Musically, the rhythm section of Brian and Jarrod is dangerous while tight and it got tighter as the night went on. The band's lone guitarist, Joey R. is
absolutely amazing carrying this band to new levels even greater than JR. Since it was Paladino's (the Valley's premier club for "cover" bands) the boys thought it would be fun to
play some of their favorite metal covers. They played Iron Maiden's "The Trooper", Motorhead's "Ace of Spades", and Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law". A lot of punk bands try
to pull off doing real metal songs and almost all fail... KILL DETAIL scored huge with their versions. Almost precise but a lot faster than the originals. The singer, Gizz Lazlo (also
the singer for DEAD LAZLO'S PLACE) was his usual funny self making light of Sheryl Crow's and Don Imus' recent news woes. All in all, KILL DETAIL is the band to watch.
These guys are all seasoned veterans and it shows. I can't wait to hear some more recorded tracks!!!

Last up was another Valley band except this one gets played on KROQ. FOZZY'S HERO are a four-piece outfit of Latino's who know how to rock a house. With a sound similar to
FACE TO FACE and SOCIAL DISTORTION these guys get down to business quick. You could tell that FH and KD were close friends since they supported each other by being up in
front of the stage for each others sets. FOZZY'S HERO played for almost an hour and really kept me entertained. I'd met Vince, the band's singer at a recent B.M.C. (Bitter
Musicians Club) show so I was really looking forward to checking out his band. I am happy to say that I was not disappointed the entire evening. I got to see three really good
bands.

Check out all these bands on myspace and support their upcoming shows because all of these bands deserve more than what their getting now! -Sal Cochino (4/07)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 28, 2007 THE YODELER, Wrightwood, CA ROCKIN’ THE PINE

The Mulch Guitar Trio, Dead Lazlo's Place, Mulch

Wow, what a night! I went to Gizz's birthday party the night before and partied with him and his buddy “Junkster” (I think that's what they call him) until 3am. I don't even
remember getting home. I remember calling a cab but I don't remember getting into it.

Anyway, we left for Wrightwood (near the Mt. High Ski Resort) at 5pm from the DLP studio in NoHo. Gizz drove while Ike did his duty as co-pilot. New Lazlo drummer, Don
McLazlo, Chris and myself sat in the back of the van and chatted while we listened to SAMIAM’s new disc and a lot of SNUFF. We arrived at XploStevO’s hotel around 7pm and
immediately started the party… mountain-style. The Budweiser and Tequila was flowin’ once again! At 8:30pm we walked about 100 yards from Steve’s hotel to the venue,
which is a small bar/grill that probably fits less than 75 people.

First up was Brad (Mulch’s singer/guitarist), Scraps (Mulch’s original second guitarist) and a friend of theirs playing some nice, mellow acoustic-country-rock. I absolutely loved
it but then again I’m a huge MULCH fan! The guys played about 5-6 songs as an acoustic-trio before Brad introduced the loudness band in the land... DEAD LAZLO’S PLACE.

The LAZLO boys started hittin’ it at 10pm to an almost full house. They were well-received by the locals who hadn’t seen them in their town since 1998. DLP played several
songs from their upcoming CD “Lazlo for Life” but also threw in a bunch of old classics and crowd favorites. Forty-five minutes later the guys emptied the joint with their brand
of Beer Swillin’ Punk Rock 'n' Roll.

As soon as DLP was done, MULCH set up their gear but Brad and new second guitarist, Keenan played a couple of ballady-acoustic numbers while Jason and Jerry kept the Lazlo
boys company outside the venue. When the guys finally joined in to get the party started again they hit it hard with songs from their last CD, “Reasons to Quit” and a ton of new
unrecorded songs that sound amazing especially with newcomer, Keenan. MULCH played for almost 3 hours and kept the crowd going. Even the girls got up and danced through
their cover of a POLICE song, which one you ask? How the hell should I know, I hate that band. OK, not the whole band, just Stink… I mean, Sting.

The show ended at almost 2am and everyone was drunker than your Uncle from Arkansas at a family reunion. This was a great evening from beginning to end. Thanks to Lazlo
for taking me with them and treating me to brilliant evening! -Sal Cochino (4/07)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 29, 2007 at LIGHTHOUSE CAFE, Hermosa Beach
Alice in Smack (Alice In Chains/Godsmack Tribute), Harmful if Swallowed
HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED took the stage at around 9:30pm. The crowd was thin but it was a Thursday night. The bartenders all wore schoolgirl outfits, which is their uniform
for Thursday night. Not a bad idea at all to get people in the club. Hell, I may go back just for a drink... or ten! Anyway, H.I.S. took the stage and did their thing for almost 45
minutes playing songs from their newest CD "Server..." as well as some older tunes that absolutely rock! These guys have been around a long time but but they play like they've
only been together only a few years. What I mean by that is that they still play like they love what they do not just going through the motions. Singer/guitarist, Greg is all over
place jumpin' like the bands of yesteryear. The rhythm section plays very well together and keep the crowd pumped. What I really love about these guys are their ability to
bring in tons of chicks!!! And not just the skanks!! Just kidding! There were tons of skanks there!!! HAHAHAHA... These guys are playing more and more nowadays so go see
them for yourself and tell me what YOU think!

Next up was ALICE IN SMACK... they sucked! 'Nuff said...

-by: Sal Cochino (03/07)
=========================================
March 13, 2007 at STUDIO SUITE, North Hollywood
Cellphish, Dead Lazlo's Place, Red Sky Warning

The night started out with the Valley's own RED SKY WARNING. This was their 4th or 5th show, which is incredible considering how tight they were. They play some neu-skool
melodic-metal with a smiggin' of punk thrown in for good measure. Think TOOL meets CHINA DRUM. The bass player, Paul played bass for DLP from 2000 to 2002 and even
produced DLP's newest CD. Roger, the guitarist extraordinar along with Paul were members of Warped Tour Veteran's TEN TIMES A DAY and have basically started where that
band left off but in a much better place! These guys are all pro players and are definitely something to watch! Go check them out soon!

Next up was DEAD LAZLO'S PLACE fresh out the gate... again! After being in the studio recording since June of last year and losing their 86th drummer back in December, the
Lazlo boys have found their saving grace in Don McCurdy (formerly of THE BOTTOM FEEDERS, MOJO'S RIB and TWISTER NAKED). After 17 years of Beers Swillin' Punk Rock
'n' Roll these guys show no signs of slowing down. They played mostly all-new material from their upcoming CD with a few old "classics" thrown in. Almost the entire crowd was
there to see DLP and they were not disappointed in the least. I still recommend you go check out these guys before they're too old to rock limp... I mean hard! My bad!

CELLPHISH were the last band up for the night. After DLP played a bit longer than they should have CELLPHISH took the stage and owned it. There was a lot of heckling back
and forth between old friends Jesse, their singer and Gizz (DLP's singer). Nothing bad just good times being had by good friends. This band has something very few "punk" bands
have going on... friggin' horns - not ska horns but punk rock horns!! They aren't a ska band by any means, just good ol' fashion Punk Rock but with some serious sounding horns.
These guys play all the time in and around LA and they fuckin' rock. I recommend these guys to those of you who are true fans of "good" Punk Rock. Oh, and did I mention the
horns?

All in all, these BMC shows are getting better and better every month. I'm glad I live in LA and that I'm a part of this great club! Hope to see more of you at next month's show.
-by: Sal Cochino (03/07)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
January 25, 2007 at knitting factory, Hollywood

AVAIL,THE DRAFT AND SOME OTHER BAND

I bought tickets in advance thinking this show would sell out so we drive down to hollywood and meet jeff,ronnie and ryan the plan was to head back home that same night but
ronnie got a hotel room(with a kitchen) and said we could crash there if we wanted to.after deciding to stay went to longs for a shopping spree for beer and food.after a few
beers we head down to the show i cant remember the first band but the kind of bored me. THE DRAFT were next i guess there 3/4 hot water music the first couple of song were
good but then they started sound like the foo fighters witch isnt a bad thing just got a little boring. AVAIL finally went up the played alot of old stuff the crowd was drunk and
having a good time as well as the band drinkin whisky up on the stage. this band as such a good presence on stage you can tell that there just having fun and the crowd feeds off
it in a big way,not the kind of dress up punk ,you have to jump around punk this is just a good honest punk band.a good way to start 07 -by: barnz (01/07)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 8, 2007 at HOUSE OF BLUES, West Hollywood

NOFX, Strike Anywhere, Dead to Me, Love Equals Death


I arrived at the venue after drinking in a hotel parking lot with DLP/Kill Detail singer, Gizz Lazlo and his brother Leo. I'd had a few drinks in me so I was ready to rock out with
my... you know where that was going, no need for me to continue! Anyway, first up was LOVE EQUALS DEATH who are FAT WRECK's new band. They sound like a lot of bands
out right now so their sound was nothing new. The crowd was pretty low key as they played. Not too many "mosh" pits (as the kids call them nowadays) and not too many people
getting excited. I guess the crowd felt the same way I did... Wow, I've heard this before! The singer, who is African-American did a good job and didn't rap like I kinda expected
him to. Not to be racist, I just thought he was going to do a Papa Roach/Linkin Park imitation, which he did not so I was happy. They took the stage and admitted right of the bat
that they knew no one was there to see them that they were just there to warm up the crowd. I was actually starting to like them a bit and then they ended their set with a BON
JOVI song, which really turned me off! Something about giving love a bad name... Next up was DEATH TO ME. Now this band kicks ass. Their drummer is amazing. He reminded
me of BLINK-182/PLUS-22 drummer, Travis Barker. His style is amazing and in the pocket! They put on a great show and actually entertained me! You should really check
these guys out... STRIKE ANYWHERE took the stage next to an almost packed crowd. They put on a good show but I was too busy flirting with a bird and really paid no mind to
them except for when she went to the WC. Their sound isn't new but they do a good job for themselves... At 11pm NOFX finally took the stage and played songs from their most
recent CDs, which I'm not too familiar with so I wasn't too excited to hear the songs they played off of The Decline and War on Errorism. The songs I knew rocked but their
onstage banter that I used to think was funny was kinda stale. All in all it was a good show but nothing special! I think I'm done seeing NOFX... until next year! -by: Sal Cochino
(01/07)

No comments:

Post a Comment